It’s been awhile since I used this space to make any predictions about the coming months, but the end of the year is always the logical (if cliched) time to do so.
So here goes:
- The migration of manufacturing to North America will accelerate, and the mainstream media will begin to report that OEMs are also reestablishing internal production lines.
- Flextronics will buy at least some of RIM.
- Robots as substitutes for human labor will be heavily hyped but lightly used.
- Ousted Altium founder Nick Martin will hook on with a budding cloud-based software company and build a PCB CAD tool.
- At least two new PCB CAD vendors will emerge.
- Electronics manufacturing companies will end 2013 with less cash in the bank but brighter prospects for the future.