The January issue of of PRINTED CIRCUIT DESIGN & FAB and CIRCUITS ASSEMBLY is now available. Our cover story, from Skyworks, looks at
as-shipped vs. mounted height for BGA and LGA packages.
When a component is surface-mounted to the motherboard, the x- and y- dimensions do not change. Not so for the height. LGA height increases; BGA height decreases. A new study shows how an increase in as-shipped thickness can enable greater electrical performance and reduce quality risk.
This month’s other highlights include:
- Understanding schematics
- Using Maxwell’s equations to solve transmission line problems
- Determining Df and Dk tradeoffs among various laminates
- Bare board x-ray inspection
- Busting the myth of PCB design at the college level
- A profile of EMS firm Green Circuits
- Ten steps for achieving good DfX
- The latest happenings among the IPC Designers Council chapters
- And Peter Bigelow asks if smaller manufacturers outmaneuvering the big ones.
Check it all out here.