Pin BGA Interconnects

My “Speaking of Art in the Process” post used a photo of a point of load power module as an example. The specifics aren’t really relevant to this post though, but a commenter by the name of “Me” asked about the type of pins connecting the module to the main PCB.

“Do you know where to get those pins to attach two boards like that? I mean, do they sell just the pin for example on Digi-Key and give it a name, or is it just wire. Can’t see if they are pins with a lip to lift board to a set height.”

The part (above) came with the pins already on, so I don’t have a specific part number for the interconnect pins. I have some underside photos (below) that give a better view. They are basically solder-type terminal pins with a solder washer and BGA ball on one side (to attach to the main PCB) and either a press-fit or solder type side to affix to the module PCB.

I wasn’t able to find this exact part from Digi-Key or Mouser. Vector sells the solder washers and lots of interconnect pins of this sort, so they may be able to steer you to them with a phone call. This board uses the BGA style, but we’ve seen other POL modules of a similar type with thru-hole solder pins too. Digi-Key has lots like that. Here’s one example of some through-hole terminal pins from Mil-Max. You could use the solder-washers (like a T124 from Vector) to put some space between the module and the PCB.

Duane Benson